Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sylvan, Monday 2/13/12 9:00

Default Sylvan, Monday 2/13/12 9:00

I have the day off Monday, gonna enjoy Sylvan (it's close to home). Snow is coming and I want to miss the snow. Doubt ppl will be able to ride since it's a workday, but putting it out there.
    I wanna ride!

Might be there around 10 or so

Sent from my ALCATEL_one_touch_908S using Tapatalk

I wanna ride!

Funny story, ya know how I was struggling to keep up with you for that "whopping" 5 miles we did? Well, I went home, rotated my handlebars forward an inch, went back out to Sylvan with Kyla in the afternoon and did 9 miles without a problem! To think, the slightest thing out of adjustment can really mess up a ride!

Fit is a huge deal! Talk to Gunchie about that!! I got replacement tubes today over lunch so that our ride won't be stifled next time by a flat!
    I wanna ride!

Excellenté!

Quote Originally Posted by Bexter View Post
    Fit is a huge deal! Talk to Gunchie about that!! I got replacement tubes today over lunch so that our ride won't be stifled next time by a flat!
    Yes it definitely is! Not only for comfort, but also for performance. I'm guessing Bexter was "whopping" you not only because of the adjustment, but because she's just that fast! And that new race machine of hers only makes her faster. Also, the massively high rolling resistance of a fat bike doesn't help either I'm sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yeah, if the novice class at Sylvan is going get owned, it isn't going to be by a dude on a fat bike.

That's unless Kings and or Neips sandbag.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by badfish41 View Post
    Yeah, if the novice class at Sylvan is going get owned, it isn't going to be by a dude on a fat bike.

That's unless Kings and or Neips sandbag.
    that's your 2011 Illinois Homegrown Race Series Champ laying the SMACK down!

"ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Bexter is fast I won't deny that!

According to my bike computer, I averaged 6.3mph riding with Becky. In the afternoon after making adjustments I averaged 8.2mph, in 2 inches of snow. Maybe the snow helped? lol

Before I made the adjustments I had some serious pain in my left knee and I needed to stop at least every 2 miles to let it subside. After adjustments, the knee pain didn't come back and I was able to ride the whole 9 miles with one break just to get Kyla's goggles from the car (started to snow a lil bit heavier at the time).

It appears that not having enough weight on the handlebars can contribute to pain in the knees and/or leg muscles. Has anyone else ever experienced this problem? Should I leave these questions to mtbr?

@badfish41 Thanks for the words of encouragement! Must train harder!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jimithng23 View Post
    that's your 2011 Illinois Homegrown Race Series Champ laying the SMACK down!

Someone has got to do it! Coming from your 2009 Illinois Homegrown Race Series Women's Champ, uhm... can't offer up any smack... YET. Road bike is on the trainer in the basement... now, I just need to get on it. Baby steps! Baby steps!
    <-- Bexter in basement.
    I wanna ride!

Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    Bexter is fast I won't deny that!

According to my bike computer, I averaged 6.3mph riding with Becky. In the afternoon after making adjustments I averaged 8.2mph, in 2 inches of snow. Maybe the snow helped? lol

Before I made the adjustments I had some serious pain in my left knee and I needed to stop at least every 2 miles to let it subside. After adjustments, the knee pain didn't come back and I was able to ride the whole 9 miles with one break just to get Kyla's goggles from the car (started to snow a lil bit heavier at the time).

It appears that not having enough weight on the handlebars can contribute to pain in the knees and/or leg muscles. Has anyone else ever experienced this problem? Should I leave these questions to mtbr?
    Knee pain normally stems from improper saddle adjustment. If you like some pointers I'd read the posts I made here: http://www.qcforc.org/showthread.php...t-thread/page2

And no, I wouldn't leave any questions to mtbr. Way too many opinions by way too many people who post more than they ride... in my opinion that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunchie View Post
    Knee pain normally stems from improper saddle adjustment. If you like some pointers I'd read the posts I made here: http://www.qcforc.org/showthread.php...t-thread/page2

And no, I wouldn't leave any questions to mtbr. Way too many opinions by way too many people who post more than they ride... in my opinion that is.
    I went for a 10 mile ride around Credit Island today since the trails are soggy. Gave me a chance to fiddle with seat position. The height was right but it needed to be slid back a bit. Now I've got my tuberosities in the right place and feel like I'm getting max power on the down stroke. It seems to be most noticeable when riding in a high gear and trying to maintain speed.

does anyone know if sylvan island is to muddy to ride

Quote Originally Posted by mkh1972 View Post
    Mostly likely.

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Got to be!

JB

Quote Originally Posted by mkh1972 View Post

Might be ok to ride tomorrow. I'll post a trail status update when I get there.

Remember only YOU can prevent trail rut!- DIRT

JB

Might be ok to ride tomorrow. I'll post a trail status update when I get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Illiniwek View Post
    Remember only YOU can prevent trail rut!- DIRT

JB
    yes, it's only been quoted here about a million times

yes, it's only been quoted here about a million times
    For good reasons, too.

Ok I won't be posting an update. I'll assume it will be sloppy until a FORC veteran tells me otherwise.

[QUOTE=dgw2jr;13427]Ok I won't be posting an update. I'll assume it will be sloppy until a FORC veteran tells me otherwise.[/

Seriously? Grow up.
    "Start and end at a brewery, and a very cool snow and Ice urban/cross country, lake ride in between with flasks ful of Krakin... YAH MON!!!!" - Vibrato

"Every one of you should ride a bike and be yourself. I really and truly believe that bikes make the world better, and that anyone who spends some time getting used to life on the saddle will find that it makes their life and the world that their life is locked to, better; in almost every way." -Gern Blanston, Surly Bikes

Ok I won't be posting an update. I'll assume it will be sloppy until a FORC veteran tells me otherwise.
    ?

Why would you not post an update? The steward has the trails marked "open" so if they're good, ride 'em. If they're sloppy, don't.

Everyone here is grateful, and jealous, that your schedule allows you to be the "trail scout" of sorts and hopefully, everyone here can trust that if the trail isn't ready to ride, you'll choose to stay off the trail and report back.

So, relax a bit. Stop taking things so personal.

What you're seeing from the "FORC Veterans" is the result of year after year watching people - hikers, equestrians, and yes, bikers - damage the trails through the winter and early spring only to have to spend our own time to repair the damage. And, in 99% of these cases, the people that caused the damage aren't at the trail day(s) to help fix the trails they damaged.

Want some good reading on this topic? Check out the Respect Your Trails thread in the SBP forum.

You're new(er) to the group. I don't think you've done much trail work, and certainly you don't have to. There's no obligation as a FORC member to contribute time to trail work. However, it is heavily encouraged, especially from the more "visible" members to help set an example.

Don't take offense, but I don't think you quite understand how emotionally and physically invested many of us are in these trails. It wasn't like one day, miles of trail popped up at Sylvan. Or the City of Davenport said "here FORC, have 7 miles of excellent singletrack!" Or the Park Board of Scott County said "oh gee, sure FORC! We'll build nearly 12 miles of fast and flowy trails for hikers and bikers only! Come on out!" NO. We did it. We built the trails. FORC built the trails. You are a FORC member.

Your comment can, and probably will, be taken offensively for most of those that have spent a large amount of their free time by pouring sweat equity into the trails you've been riding for the better part of a year.

There's a huge reason why you're constantly hearing "only YOU can prevent trail rut" because it's true. All the "FORC Veterans" are trying to do is promote and educate people on responsible trail usage. After multiple conversations at meetings and on this forum you'd think the point would've hit home by now.

Come to a trail day, bust your a$$ for a few hours, days, weeks, MONTHS even and then come back and look at that quote again. You'll fully understand the meaning.

No one here is taking a shot at you personally so just relax. Go check the trails out. If they're too muddy, stay off 'em and let everyone know. We all appreciate the updates.

Keep riding and having fun cuz that's what this is all about...oh, and there's a trail day Sunday at Sunderbruch which would be a perfect opportunity for you to see what the OTHER side of this thing is all about. You gonna be there??

HFDB.
    Last edited by jimithng23; 02-16-2012 at 08:48 PM.

You guys are funny. Everyone thinks dgw2jr is the Abominable Trail Rut Monster. I highly doubt it. I'm waiting for the day that guys start watching out to catch him red handed (or muddy tire'd) snapping pictures for proof like we do of horse dung on the trails. Soon enough, search parties are going to start forming like the hunt for Sasquatch. Perhaps a trap will be laid out to snare his Nates and hold him captive in the mud until he either chews threw his cranks to free himself from his clipless pedals and run free or be discovered by the angry lynch mob armed with pitch forks, wooden stakes, Holy Water, and silver bullets...You know, for good measure.

I trust dgw2jr to not ride if it's muddy out. At least from my perspective, he's been an advocate for proper trail use since the day he first started coming around. I don't see a guy working to expose equestrians mishaps turning around and intentionally causing worse damage on his own accord. I'd like to think we can appreciate that he is willing to stop by to check trail conditions and report. That's pretty cool.

Now, Don, don't make me look like a sihthead and end up riding in slop. If my Stampede time gets screwed up b/c I endo on a chasm ledge left by fatbike tires in the singletrack, I'll be hunting you down like the dingo that ate my baby...Got it?

Can we go ahead and drop it for now and just love each other again? Speaking of which, I heard Farmboy still sleeps with his Princess Di Beanie Baby and has the largest collection of My Little Pony figurines in the entire Midwest. What a sweetie!
    Dirt Don't Hurt

Last night Drew and I met with the head of the Rock Island County parks at Illiniwek to talk about trail issues there. We couldn't even walk on the trails with out doing damage! So I'm sure no matter what some of us think about Sylvan and how it drys out real fast and we can't damage it and all that stuff, its still going to be real sloppy in spots if not most of the trail system. This time of year is the hardest time of the year for any trail system and we must do everything we can to make sure we do as little damage as possible to the trail system(s).

We have a race coming up in about two months and like every year some of us are out at Sylvan trying to fix all the problems the park has before the big race. It would be real nice if this year we could ride our bikes (so we can be ready for the race too)and not have to do that kind of thing!

So if you have to ride your bike, ride the road or the bike path! You can get in race shape riding the rode or the path too!

JB