Thread: Midwest Women's Skills Clinic - June 9 & 10, 2012 Brown County, IN

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Midwest Women's Skills Clinic - June 9 & 10, 2012 Brown County, IN

If you haven't ridden Brown County in Indiana, you have been missing out! Ask Kings, Ann, Krud, Ray or about 30 people from PAMBA for feedback about how incredible this place is for mtn biking. Professionally built trail system that will have you hooping and hollering the whole time! Nice campground, decent swimming pool.

I haven't been to the women's skills clinic because it's always the same weekend as TOMRV, but a few of my friends have and they tout it as being amazing. Looks like a few of us are going in 2012. We will be taking the Friday and Monday off work flanking the weekend (June 8-11, 2012) off. Our plan is to drive down Friday, set up camp and ride a while Friday afternoon. The clinic takes up the weekend. Return home on Monday.

Here's what their website (http://www.midwestwomensclinic.com/) has to say about the clinic:

The Midwest Women's Mountain Bike Clinic is more than just a clinic. It's an entire weekend filled with mountain biking, camping, fun and friends. Come for the day or stay for the weekend. We welcome anyone to attend who is interested in learning to mountain bike ~ whether you are someone who plans to race or someone who just wants to enjoy a day riding in the woods.

The Midwest Women's Mountain Bike Clinic is recognized by the International Mountainbike Instructor Certification (IMIC) program. All of our instructors are certified and have the knowledge and experience to teach anyone from the first time mountain biker to advanced riders. Learn new techniques and gain confidence no matter what your personal riding goals my be. Click here for a list of coaches at the 2012 event.

The Midwest Women's Mountain Bike Clinic is held annually at Brown County State Park in beautiful Nashville, Indiana. The Brown County mountain bike trail system has been built entirely for mountain bikers by mountain bikers and is the perfect trail for beginners to advanced riders. With a current trail system of 25+ miles and growing, Brown County is quickly becoming a popular Midwest mountain biking destination and was recently named as one of IMBA's "Epic" destinations!

For more information on the trails at Brown County State Park and the surrounding area, go to
    www.browncountymountainbiking.com.

To register:
    http://www.bikereg.com/events/regist...?eventid=14564

Skill Levels:
    Skill levels may vary slightly within each group and adjustments can be made during the clinic to ensure all participants are comfortable and having a good time. To better assist in selecting a group that fits your current skill level, please see the descriptions below.
    • Intro ~ This is an introduction to mountain biking. This group is perfect for the first time rider who has never ridden on dirt trails or someone who has maybe only ridden on dirt a few times. You are physically fit (or looking for a way to get there), adventurous and want to learn more about mountain biking. Don't have a bike? We offer FREE rentals to clinic participants. Go to www.midwestwomensclinic.com/faq.html for more info.
      Instructors include Tony Simeone, Lindsay Sherman,
      Suzanne Summer and Jenn Gonzalez

• Beginner Criteria:
      * You have been mountain biking for at least one (1) year.
      * You have decent general riding skills and good fitness, but lack the ability and confidence to tackle terrain beyond a beginner level.
      * You have a basic understanding of braking, shifting and steering and can handle riding smooth dirt paths with few rocks, roots and technical areas.
      * You may be looking to improve your fitness and can only ride for a few hours before tiring.
      Instructors include Jeni Roosen, Charlie Summers, Scott Rodriguez, Charles Schindler and Kathi Krause

• Intermediate Criteria:
      * You have been mountain biking for over two years and have solid intermediate-level skills.
      * You are comfortable with almost all aspects of mountain biking and can handle more technical terrain with rocks, roots and small logs (up to 6").
      * You have good control of your bike on intermediate to slightly more advanced trail and are comfortable on non-technical singletrack.
      * You are physically fit and can handle riding for several hours at a time.
      ~ you must be able to perform a front and rear wheel lift as well as ride logs up to 6" in diameter.
      Instructors include Angi Weston, Todd Boucher, Sally Collins and Brad Titzer

• Advanced Criteria:
      * You have been mountain biking for more than five (5) years and are confident riding all types of terrain and distances.
      * You mountain bike often and can handle more advanced trail with medium-level stunts such as large log rollovers and small bridges.
      * You are comfortable with features such as switchbacks or rocky/rooty sections and can climb and descend on technical terrain.
      * You can ride multiple days in a row and are looking to improve your skills with the encouragement and guidance of an expert coach.
      ~ you must be able to perform a front and rear wheel lift, bunny hop and drop off as well as ride logs up to 8" in diameter.
      Instructors include Shaums March, Lindsey Voreis and Marla Streb
    NOTE: We strive to offer the most safe, responsible and effective guidance to all our participants. Participation is kept to a strick 6:1 ratio with instructors. As more instructors sign on for the event, additional spaces will open. Please read and understand the skill level criteria before registering for the Midwest Women's Mountain Bike Clinic. All riders must participate in the skills evaluation portion of the clinic. There will be NO REFUNDS given in the event you have signed up for a group that is above your riding capability and you are asked to move to a group more appropriate for your skill and/or fitness level.

Cost
    Students
    Intro Level ~ Sat. Only
    $50

Beginner Level ~ Sat. Only
    $75

Intermediate Level ~ Sat./Sun
    $95

Advanced Level ~ Sat./Sun
    $125

I wanna ride!

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

This is a lot more than the MTB 101 we put on from time to time, this is an excellent place to learn great skills over a much longer class. Most of the fees go to the park for more trails- there are 2 persons whos full time job is to build and maintain the trail system here.

Brown County is AWESOME- Some of the grooviest flow anywhere, and the double black diamond trail (Schooner) is worthy of the rating. Most will have to walk a couple of short sections.

1st time there, K-rud and I did the out and back and all loops except Schooner and clocked over 30 miles! The next day we rode out and did Schooner and back for about 12 miles. For those who don't climb much (L.T. is a small hill) you can leave a vehicle at the pool, ride all the trails down and drive back up. Still some climbing on main trail and a little more on some of the loops, But WAY less than doing the whole thing.

I definately plan to hit brown County a couple times this year, and this would be an awesome weekend for couples...

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

This sounds like a great weekend to get a group trip going. These trails are nothing short of fabulous.

Yes! Absolutely! This is a terrific opportunity for couples / families. We're going to have a busy month: Memorial Day weekend will kick off the fun. My original plan was to ride Brown County over Memorial Day, but skill clinic in June will better fit the BC slot. You can be sure that there will be likely a few trip destinations planned for Memorial Day. Then BC two weeks later, then the Warrior Dash (I think Vibrato posted info about this race if you're interested in joining us), then the Midwest Mtn Bike Festival. What a great month!!
    I wanna ride!

I think I'm getting hosed on the fest this year. It's the weekend of the 23rd right? Please tell me that's wrong and it' on the 30th. Otherwise, I'm screwed.

You're screwed, Hoser.

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Sumbitch.

OK, Eric Perry just posted (elsewhere) that he and Anna are going down for the women's skills clinic weekend. Jon and I are going as is Karen Ketelson and Kathy Ramp. That's 6 of us so far...
    I wanna ride!

Board Position
    Insurance Manager

Sorry did not look back far enough to see if there was a thread!
    Anyhow if you are looking to register as an intermediate rider do so quickly... the registration page notes only SIX SPOTS LEFT. The other fields do not mention them being close to filling.
    A Value Oriented Cyclist

Quote Originally Posted by ew_perry View Post
    Anyhow if you are looking to register as an intermediate rider do so quickly... the registration page notes only SIX SPOTS LEFT. The other fields do not mention them being close to filling.
    Only 3 slots left in Intermediate...
    I wanna ride!