Thread: Tires

Default Tires

just want to get an idea what everyone is running for tires at our local trails and some strengths and weaknesses about them. ive already been through mtbr but it seems most of those reviews come from mtb'ers who ride terrain much different from ours.

tires i have tried...

Bontrager LT3 26x2.0: Slide on anything remotely wet, very low rolling resistance, weak cornering grip

Intense System 4 26x2.25: nice supple ride, smooth over roots and rocks, squirmy in corners, front washed out on me pretty good once and i lost confidence in them

Michelin Mountain AT 26x2.2: good grip on loose loamy stuff, slow as molasses, noisy as heck on dry hardpack, could not enjoy the ride due to very high rolling resistance

Kenda Kwick 26x1.95: very stable on dry hardpack, follows the chosen line pretty well, low rolling resistance, slides on wet roots, mud, and leaves, not great on loose over hardpack

Continental Race King 26x2.2: huge volume absorbs roots and rocks pretty well, rolls pretty fast, tread height is very low, feels sloppy in corners, not very confidence inspiring, thin carcass punctures easily

IRC Mythos XC II 26x2.1: current setup, rolls fast, front tire has good tread depth, gets through the leaves down to the hardpack, tracks well, back tire slides predictably, grips ok during climbs

Tires are one of those things that are very rider dependent. For example, I loved having Kenda Small Block Eights on the front and rear, but other absolutely hate the SB8. You either have to lean more towards low rolling resistance or better grip. A good in between is to put a low rolling resistance tire (like the SM8) in the rear and a good grip tire (like the Kenda Nevegal) in the front. It's up to personal preference in the end.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunchie View Post
    Tires are one of those things that are very rider dependent. For example, I loved having Kenda Small Block Eights on the front and rear, but other absolutely hate the SB8. You either have to lean more towards low rolling resistance or better grip. A good in between is to put a low rolling resistance tire (like the SM8) in the rear and a good grip tire (like the Kenda Nevegal) in the front. It's up to personal preference in the end.
    aww no silver bullet? just looking for opinions anyway.

also, i forgot WTB Velociraptors 26x2.1: felt and sounded like i was driving an M1 Abrams, but stuck to the trail like one too, definitely a downhill tire

you're psycho. have you been through 90 tires already? you should just pick a pair and roll 'em for a while till you learn how to corner and feel the sublteties of the tire. then you will be able to, or better able to determine which tire works best for you. with the leaves off the trees now, i would recommend some solid side knobs to bite through the leaves. a few weeks ago would have been sweet for a fast roller like the small block. the tires i have on my Trek are a pretty good all around tire but I forget what they are and don't want to go look. they are WTB somethings.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

I haven't kept up much with 26" tires in the last 2 years so take my input for what its worth...

The Continental Mountain King has been a pretty good tire for me around here. I run 'em tubeless with a 2.4 up front and 2.25 out back. Pretty low rolling resistance considering how well they hook up in the corners.

Other combo I've tried with mild success in our area is the Kenda Nevegal up front with the Small Block 8 in the rear. The SB8 can be a great tire in proper conditions - mostly dry hardback. If the trail is wet at all in the corners, prepare for a wild ride...it has a mind of its own.

At the end of the day, I'm with Russ...you can go crazy, and dam near broke, searching for *the perfect* tire cuz you're never gonna find it. There's just too many variables that are in play. Find a tire that makes YOU happyy and roll with it (pun intended).
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Quote Originally Posted by Russhole'72 View Post
    you're psycho. have you been through 90 tires already? you should just pick a pair and roll 'em for a while till you learn how to corner and feel the sublteties of the tire. then you will be able to, or better able to determine which tire works best for you. with the leaves off the trees now, i would recommend some solid side knobs to bite through the leaves. a few weeks ago would have been sweet for a fast roller like the small block. the tires i have on my Trek are a pretty good all around tire but I forget what they are and don't want to go look. they are WTB somethings.
    MOTORAPTORS!!!