Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Map of Sylvan Island

Default Map of Sylvan Island

I managed to map out, at least partially, the trails on Sylvan Island! Huzzah!

http://g.co/maps/hgaaz

This is good, but we all know it's not hardly the half of it. We need to add some more and then get someone to put some of the features on it or something. Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Takophiliac View Post
    This is good, but we all know it's not hardly the half of it. We need to add some more and then get someone to put some of the features on it or something. Good job!
    Definitely need to mark the location of the death bridge!

Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    Definitely need to mark the location of the death bridge!
    What the heck is the "death bridge???" I'm chuckling.
    I wanna ride!

I can't remember a place on the island high enough for there to be a "death bridge" on. I do however have a picture of a death bridge on my phone from fdr park.

Quote Originally Posted by Bexter View Post
    There's a short bridge about 8 feet long, 2 feet wide near the center of the island. My gf rode across it yesterday and her back wheel slid out sending the bike to the muddy depths below. She managed to catch the edge and pull herself back up with just a few bruises to show for it. So for the lulz we just call it death bridge now. =P

The RR tie bridge (with 3 foot drop on either side)?? That one is easier to travel from North to South. I call the little hill on the Northwest corner of the island "Nemesis" because it took me forever to manage to get up that hill without stalling! I can do the hill fine now but I still call it Nemesis.

Does your girlfriend have riding experience? If not, we have one last "No Chick Left Behind" skills session Thursday night at Sunderbruch Park (or Sylvan Island if the trail steward dees the trails at Sunderbruch too wet). Here's the post:

http://www.qcforc.org/showthread.php...1669#post11669

See you on the trails!!!!
    I wanna ride!

The RR tie bridge (with 3 foot drop on either side)?? That one is easier to travel from North to South. I call the little hill on the Northwest corner of the island "Nemesis" because it took me forever to manage to get up that hill without stalling! I can do the hill fine now but I still call it Nemesis.

Does your girlfriend have riding experience? If not, we have one last "No Chick Left Behind" skills session Thursday night at Sunderbruch Park (or Sylvan Island if the trail steward dees the trails at Sunderbruch too wet). Here's the post:

http://www.qcforc.org/showthread.php...1669#post11669

See you on the trails!!!!
    yea the bridge made of RR ties! shes fairly experienced. the bontrager connection trail tires on her bike barely hook up on dry hardpack let alone wet RR ties. i swapped her tires for some kenda klaws last night so she should have some grip now. also lowered the pressure a bit

Ahhh the Death Bridge! Never heard it called that before, hell never thought it was that bad! We used it more than once as part of the Stampede race course and everyone loved it. Remember some pretty cool pictures of that area during the races we used it in.
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Illiniwek View Post
    Ahhh the Death Bridge! Never heard it called that before, hell never thought it was that bad! We used it more than once as part of the Stampede race course and everyone loved it. Remember some pretty cool pictures of that area during the races we used it in.
    JB
    Death bridge isnt bad really, at least not compared to DEATH PIPE!

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

I have a map of sylvan we have been using for race planning purposes that encompasses probably 95% of the trail out there. Ill throw come flare on it and post it. It would be nice to get some responses from people (the builders) on the names of some of the trails out there. I know Brickyard and Stonehenge, but that is about all.

Where's this map!? We all want to see it. (well, i do anyway).
    Jamis Dakar XAM I 2010

Why can't all the trails just go downhill?

Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    Death bridge isnt bad really, at least not compared to DEATH PIPE!
    You never posted your photos. You can't just start naming stuff without us being able to relate.
    Jamis Dakar XAM I 2010

Ohh ya that bridge, I think I have only been over it once. Had a girl I was seeing go off the shingle bridge and from then on she wasn't really a fan of going over planks of wood. Where is this death pipe you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by Takophiliac View Post
    You never posted your photos. You can't just start naming stuff without us being able to relate.
    Death Bridge! Flesh found here probably belongs to Kyla, not Russhole'72
    deathbridge..jpg

Death Pipe! Now with 50% more Shards O' Glass™!
    deathpipe..jpg

That bridge is the best bridge on the island! As for the death pipe, never seen it before. Key thing to remember when riding the island, look at the trail ahead of you not what you just ran over!

JB

Quote Originally Posted by speedjunkie View Post
    Ohh ya that bridge, I think I have only been over it once. Had a girl I was seeing go off the shingle bridge and from then on she wasn't really a fan of going over planks of wood. Where is this death pipe you speak of?
    Where's this shingle bridge you speak of?
    Jamis Dakar XAM I 2010

It is just off the middle lime path (that runs S-N). There is a single track offshoot on the North half that you veer West on and it curves around, then the bridge and a little hill. I'm out of town through Friday night but how about a ride at Sylvan on Saturday? Can show you the island.
    I wanna ride!

I'm down for that ride. I'll bring a hacksaw to kill death pipe. I've never seen it before. Death bridge is prolly aptly named 'cause it's rotting away and is gettin' scary, and if you screw up on it, you'll prolly be plantig your face on the corner of the other side. Riders beware.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Russhole'72 View Post
    I'll bring a hacksaw to kill death pipe.
    Make sure to bring a good file to smooth out the edges after cutting it. Don't want to have a sharp piece of metal sticking out of the ground either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

What time? 10 am?
    I wanna ride!

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Illiniwek; Web Director

I had some trouble getting the map file online, but it is up now: Sylvan Island MTB Trail Map

If any of the trail builders have specific names for the trails they built, please reply and I will include the name on the map. Otherwise, the trails will be left unnamed.

The "Unnamed #" lapels are just temporary references and will be eliminated on the final map.

Great job on the map. Thank you !

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

On "unnamed 8" the double bar catcher is lovingly refered to as "Poofy's Pass". I think unnamed 6 was "Your kinda" trail. Above unnamed 4 (but NOT unnamed 4) the black and the green was originally one trail without the little green bypass. (This was put in for a the novice racers to avoid the more challenging part.) The bypass is still ridden by riders seeking a lighter challenge, but the trail shown in black and the green without the bypass was originally "my Kinda" but was then changed to "The Ridge" to avoid confusion with "your kinda" trail. Unnamed 9 area was always refered to as the swamp when it was a straight shot through the middle, then after the zig zag was put in we called it "that zig zag area in the NW corner"- which is a sucky long name, so I suggest we call it "ZZ swamp". Unnamed 3 had a name, but I can't remember- it was something like Marquee or Center... Lile help folks?

This is by far the best map of sylvan I've ever seen, and it is a LOT better than I ever imagined could be done.

Sincerely, NICE JOB!

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Agreed, this map is amazing.
    Any chance we can get it on the board at sylvan (and maybe a few junctions around the island)?
    Jamis Dakar XAM I 2010