Thread: 29er vs 26" Hardtail

Question 29er vs 26" Hardtail

Thinking about moving up to a 29er, always have ridden a 26" bike. I've read that once you go 29er you won't go back to a 26". I assume that really depends on the rider though. What's your opinion on 29er vs 26"?

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazin' View Post
    Thinking about moving up to a 29er, always have ridden a 26" bike. I've read that once you go 29er you won't go back to a 26". I assume that really depends on the rider though. What's your opinion on 29er vs 26"?
    Had a quick chat with Russhole'72 last week and he swears by his Stumpjumper 29er. If I had a million bucks I would buy one lol

I got a Stumpjumper hardtail 29er this year and am extremely happy with it. I am not the worlds most technical rider but as I was riding around some of the close-in tree areas in Scott County this weekend I was thinking a 26" would be better on tight single track where you're turning in and out of trees, but overall I love the 29er. Hard to explain exactly why - I don't think I am any faster on it - just rolls over stuff better with the bigger wheels, which I suppose is the idea! I still have my old 26" bike, but it hasn't seen much action this year.

29er rolls over things easier and seems to carry momentum farther. Sometimes it makes you feel like a super hero. I haven't noticed any of the acceleration problems that you hear about, may depend on the bike. I will say that my bike is a little tight on some of the turns on the local trails, again probably bike dependent. I kept my 26" for almost a year thinking I would ride it some too but it never got out and I sold it recently.

For the last 3 years both of my bikes have been 29ers (SS and Full-Sus). I recently switched back to a 26er full-sus bike and have ridden a friend's 26er SS. The 26ers feel much more fun (flickable) when doing any drops, jumps, etc. at speed. They both have their advantages - the 29ers definitely smooth out the trail but I can feel a little sluggishness in performance and handling (due to geometry and weight) when compared to a 26er of the same frame type. If I had to choose one bike, I would either have a 29er hard tail or a 26er full-sus. Just depends on your riding style and personal preference, I guess...I love having both!

I never planned on being in this debate, but here I am. I friggin' love my new 29er! I went from 26" hard tail to the other end of the spectrum with a 29" full suspension 130 mm front and back. I test rode many 29" bikes before the purchase. some had crap for acceleration and others did not. some felt big and others did not. I landed with a Specialized comp 29er and it corners better than my 26", climbs almost as good, desends better, and is just plain more fun to ride. There is one other 29er I liked a lot and it was a Spearfish. All bikes are different and so are all riders. try a bunch before you decide on one if you can.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Well I took a 29er for a spin this afternoon on the trails at Sylvan Island. YEA I know it was hot out there but it was worth it. I thought the 29er was a pretty sweet ride!!! I did notice some of the differences between the 29er and 26", 29er easier to climb and rides over things easier. I also noticed corners are a little tighter then a 26" but I think in time I could work on that. And it was my first time on it so i'm totally not use to it. But I did like it better then my 26" hardtail bike and I think I'm gonna look into a 29er (hardtail for now). It just seemed like a smoother ride for me. I guess the saying "once you go 29er you won't go back" could become true for me. Oh and Russhole'72!!

I love my Giant Talon 29er 2. If you can afford the 1 I would reccomend it for the 9 speed cassestte alone. The 2 only has an 8 speed are there are a couple noticable gaps. The hydraulic brakes would also be nice.

You know, the best day I've ever had on a bike was on a Turner five spot (26") in Utah.

26 or 29 doesn't really matter. What makes a bigger difference is full squish or not. I may buy another 26" bike, but I'll never buy another hard tail.

I've never been on a full suspension bike so I wouldn't really know much about that but I think they would be better. I'll have to give that a shot one of these days though. Full suspension for me is a little ways away, maybe next spring or summer. For now I think I'm gonna stick with a 29er hardtail for now, it's within my budget (probably as used one). I'll keep 26" for now to, maybe sell it one of these days. In the end it's truly what the rider likes and fits them the best, everyone is different. But one thing we all do have in common is "we love to ride and hit the trails."

I would just stick with the 26" and save for the fs. And I wouldn't ride a fs untill you can buy one beacuse then you won't to ride anything but. I made the mistake this summer taking a demo for a ride, well that cost me a bunch of money.

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

No matter the tire size- ride a bunch of bikes! The short travel fs 26ers are what I like- but I'm old and I get sore easy, and there are plenty of stoopid fast doods on 29er full rigids.

Ultimately, every bike has minor differences in geometry that make major differences in feel. If you want to see how much, change the stem you have to something 20 mm shorter or longer- COMPLETELY different handling bike. If a stem makes that much difference, imagine all the changes that go into upsizing the wheels!

Ride your buddies bikes, ride their buddies bikes, go to the bike shop and ride some more- when you find one that feels pretty good, start looking into them and narrowing it down- figure out WHY it feels right. Eventually, you'll find the bike that lets you ride the speed and style that you enjoy, and THAT will make you enjoy riding more no matter how big the wheels are!

If you find that you don't enjoy the ride- for instance- you get frustrated because the quick, tight and twisty stuff is too much for you now, or people don't go fast enough on the climbs for you to pull the gearing you chose, or you start complaining that the trails should be changed to accomodate your new bikes handlebar width, then you probably chose the wrong bike for the places that you ride, and that's bad. (NOTE: The term "quick, tight and twisty stuff" is NOT referencing a fast, flowy trail with a bad corner in it- we all know those should always be looked at.)

In any event- wheel size and the amount of travel make a HUGE difference, so the 1st thing you should do is to decide to enjoy the search- and ride as many bikes as you can!!!

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibrato View Post
    If you find that you don't enjoy the ride- for instance- you get frustrated because the quick, tight and twisty stuff is too much for you now, or people don't go fast enough on the climbs for you to pull the gearing you chose, or you start complaining that the trails should be changed to accomodate your new bikes handlebar width, then you probably chose the wrong bike for the places that you ride, and that's bad. (NOTE: The term "quick, tight and twisty stuff" is NOT referencing a fast, flowy trail with a bad corner in it- we all know those should always be looked at.)
    I wouldn't say you chose the wrong bike, you just need to make some modifications like getting a shorter stem to make steering quicker, and/or cutting off some of the handlebar since bike companies tend to sell them long so consumers can cut them down to their preferred length. From there just keep on working on your weaknesses (ie if you are having trouble climbing then try to climb as much as possible).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

right on que. go check out the Giant demo on friday. See Bexter's post in the News and events thread

It's all good information to take in, thanks guys. I've been riding a 29er the last few weeks and I do like it. I know I'm gonna cut down my handlebars a little. Wouldn't mind trying a shorter stem either. Plus the more ride I the better I get. I know trying out different bikes is also a good idea. So I'll be at the Giant demo that Bike n Hike is putting on in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Honestcox View Post
    I got a Stumpjumper hardtail 29er this year and am extremely happy with it. I am not the worlds most technical rider but as I was riding around some of the close-in tree areas in Scott County this weekend I was thinking a 26" would be better on tight single track where you're turning in and out of trees, but overall I love the 29er. Hard to explain exactly why - I don't think I am any faster on it - just rolls over stuff better with the bigger wheels, which I suppose is the idea! I still have my old 26" bike, but it hasn't seen much action this year.
    That's my favorite section at Scocopa! Anyway, while the 29er may roll over stuff easier, I have found I can get the same effect on my 26er if I just ride faster lol. For example, if I see a section coming up with a lot of roots or rocks I will just hammer it, stay light on the bike, and it will go where it needs to go. I figured this out when riding the Emma Carlin trails at Kettle Moraine and some trails at Devils Lake State Park, Wisconsin. After conquering some really steep rocky descents, I realized I would have been toast if I had been too cautious or slow through them.

It's all good information to take in, thanks guys. I've been riding a 29er the last few weeks and I do like it. I know I'm gonna cut down my handlebars a little. Wouldn't mind trying a shorter stem either. Plus the more ride I the better I get. I know trying out different bikes is also a good idea. So I'll be at the Giant demo that Bike n Hike is putting on in a few weeks.
    Let me know if you need any help cutting your handlebars. I have a pipecutter just for that task

@Vibrato: Took your advice and got a shorter stem. Went from 110mm 25° to 70mm 25° and wow what a difference. The bike handles so much differently. It's far more responsive to steering input.

Get out and ride !!

After riding some full sus 29er bikes at the Giant demo yesterday, and my buddies new full sus 26er, I've come to a conclusion (for myself, YMMV)!

I prefer hardtail 26ers. I feel more in control of the bike and the I like the responsiveness of the steering on a 26er vs a 29er. Also, I realized my Trek 4300 19.5" is too big for me.

I did some shopping today and tested out a new Trek 4300, 4500, 3900 at On Two Wheels, a Giant Revel 1 at Bike n Hike, and a Raleigh Talus 4.0 at Healthy Habits.

The Raleigh really surprised me considering the price. I never hear anyone talk about these bikes and I don't think I've ever seen anyone on the trail with one. So after a second test ride and some minor adjustments I decided the Raleigh was the one for me. I promptly took it out to Sunderbruch and rode the crap out of it. I logged my fastest average speed ever and even hit some of the more technical sections a lot easier than before. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with it being the right fit (medium 18" frame). The brakes are way more powerful than the Revel's disc brakes but not as overly powerful as the 4300/4500 hydraulic discs. Hydraulics are way too much braking power for me.

Cool bike dgw2jr. I have a Raleigh from about 15 years ago, it's a hardtail and a pretty good bike. I haven't been on since then, sits in the garage, not sure why I still even have it. I was out at the Giant demo to, to bad I didn't know who you are cause i would of hit the trails with you. I probably seen you though and some other FORCers but just didn't know it. I tested mostly fs bikes yesterday. I think in the end when I do buy my next bike it'll be a fs 26" bike. I've been riding a 29er hardtail last few weeks and it has its pros and cons. At times I love it but at times I don't. I still have my 26" Trek 3900 that I get out from time to time. One thing I'm gonna do on my 29er is get a shorter neck and cut the handle bars. Earlier you said you had a pipecutter that would do the job, that offer still stand? I rode ScoPoCo today and I would like to get that done. Could help turn a little better. I'm thinking about riding tomorrow to but not sure where.

Cool bike dgw2jr. I have a Raleigh from about 15 years ago, it's a hardtail and a pretty good bike. I haven't been on since then, sits in the garage, not sure why I still even have it. I was out at the Giant demo to, to bad I didn't know who you are cause i would of hit the trails with you. I probably seen you though and some other FORCers but just didn't know it. I tested mostly fs bikes yesterday. I think in the end when I do buy my next bike it'll be a fs 26" bike. I've been riding a 29er hardtail last few weeks and it has its pros and cons. At times I love it but at times I don't. I still have my 26" Trek 3900 that I get out from time to time. One thing I'm gonna do on my 29er is get a shorter neck and cut the handle bars. Earlier you said you had a pipecutter that would do the job, that offer still stand? I rode ScoPoCo today and I would like to get that done. Could help turn a little better. I'm thinking about riding tomorrow to but not sure where.
    if by neck you mean stem then i probably have one i can sell u for cheap. and yea my offer still stands. ill send u a pm

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

SWEET BIKE!! Taking the time to get the bike that fits your riding style will make your riding more fun for years to come- Congratulations!!

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.