Thread: 2005 Trek 3400 upgrades?

Question 2005 Trek 3400 upgrades?

I just picked up a 2005 Trek 3400 with linear pull brakes. Any recommendations for disc brake conversion?

Can't go wrong with Avid BB7's. Probably the best disc brake out there for the money.

Default Size?

I see that Jenson has those here: http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Brake+10.aspx

However, I'm not sure which size I should go with. I'm assuming the sizes listed are rotor diameters, correct?

Correct, the size is the size of the rotor. The bigger the rotor the more stopping power, but as the rotor gets bigger the more likely that it will get bent out of place which could cause annoying rubbing issues and more maintenance to bend back in place. For the Midwest you should be fine with 160mm, but since the 180mm is cheaper you might as well get the added stopping power for the price. Just note that if you do buy the 180 and anything happens to the rotor then it looks like it's hard to replace it with another Avid rotor (non standard size for them I guess). Remember that these are sold individually so you'll have to order two to get front and rear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Are you sure it's 3400? Looked on Bikepedia and it doesn't exist. Is it a 4300?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunchie View Post
    Are you sure it's 3400? Looked on Bikepedia and it doesn't exist. Is it a 4300?
    Yea I'm dumb. It's a 4300. Also looks like I need new wheels with the hubs that are tapped for rotor bolts. I may just stick with my linear pull brakes for now.

I have a Trek 4300 disc. I'll sell you the original wheels with tires for $20.00
    The tires are Michellin AT's (now called Grippers). 2.2 width. Both tires are in good shape.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Russhole'72 View Post
    I have a Trek 4300 disc. I'll sell you the original wheels with tires for $20.00
    The tires are Michellin AT's (now called Grippers). 2.2 width. Both tires are in good shape.
    hot diggity! you got yourself a deal! PM me plz

I am also planning on replacing my RST Gila T5 fork. The stanchions are moving around inside their housings and the front end shakes like crazy during heavy braking. I found the 2010 RockShox Dart 2 on pricepoint for 90 bucks. I can't really spend much more than that on it right now. Would you guys happen to know if I can reuse all the headset components and star nut? I read that some star nuts will come out the bottom of the fork steerer tube but some are tapered and the star nut can't come out.

Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    I am also planning on replacing my RST Gila T5 fork. The stanchions are moving around inside their housings and the front end shakes like crazy during heavy braking. I found the 2010 RockShox Dart 2 on pricepoint for 90 bucks. I can't really spend much more than that on it right now. Would you guys happen to know if I can reuse all the headset components and star nut? I read that some star nuts will come out the bottom of the fork steerer tube but some are tapered and the star nut can't come out.
    If you can remove it without damage, you should be able to reuse it. I think I may have a couple starnuts laying around I'd be willing to give up, for say...a beer at the next FORC get together.

The crown race will come off with ease with the proper tool, and with much less ease with a screwdriver.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSVT99 View Post
    The crown race will come off with ease with the proper tool, and with much less ease with a screwdriver.
    A screwdriver isn't the proper tool? huh

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Geneseo Prairie Park

just buy a new headset too and the star nut and crown race will come with it...
    ANYTHING can be fixed...how badly do you want it?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkn1 View Post
    just buy a new headset too and the star nut and crown race will come with it...
    i am considering that option. i can get a headset from the same website for around 40 bucks

I've got an FSA headset, new in box but I robbed the star nut out of it so you will still need to dig one of those up. I also have a Dart 1, new...bought it for a single speed set up that didn't materialize. However, I tried to put it on a Trek 8000 and it was cut too short but you are more than welcome to see if it might work for your rig.

Quote Originally Posted by CSP View Post
    I've got an FSA headset, new in box but I robbed the star nut out of it so you will still need to dig one of those up. I also have a Dart 1, new...bought it for a single speed set up that didn't materialize. However, I tried to put it on a Trek 8000 and it was cut too short but you are more than welcome to see if it might work for your rig.
    Sounds like I'll be able to get a star nut from SweetSVT99. PM me and let me know what you want for the headset and fork thx ^_^

You going to be at the Taco Ride tomorrow? If so, I can bring it with me.

Fork isn't disc compatible, v brakes only...

Quote Originally Posted by SweetSVT99 View Post
    You going to be at the Taco Ride tomorrow? If so, I can bring it with me.
    I doubt it. Too early for me. I'll still be at work =(

Quote Originally Posted by CSP View Post
    Fork isn't disc compatible, v brakes only...
    Thats fine. I'll take it off your hands anyways. I dont have disc brakes (yet) and when the time comes I'll probably get another fork

So many questions...

What type of headset do I have? Traditional? ZS? Semi-integrated? This stuff is getting confusing!

Traditional 1 1/8

Alright so I ordered a 2010 Dart 2, star nut, pipecutter, and another Intense System 4 to match the front tire for 150 bucks at pricepoint.com. Also picked up the FSA headset from CSP. I'm getting the disc wheels from Russhole'72 this afternoon and in 2 weeks I'll order the Avid BB7's. Am I forgetting anything?