Thread: Couple of questions regarding the 'Fest

Default Couple of questions regarding the 'Fest

Hey everyone,
    I have a few questions about how the fest works.

I'm very new to trail riding, I don't even think it's been a full month yet. I would like to catch the MTB 101 at 9 am. I've already pre-registered online (free T-shirt! ). How early do I need to get there? I'll be driving down (over?) from Nevada, IA so I do have a bit a trip ahead of me.

The Bike Demo rides and the group trail rides start at 10 AM. Are either of these a hit or miss type of event or can I go on one of the group rides and try one of the demo bikes later in the day?

To go along with the group rides:
    How fast are the fast and half fast rides?
    Are we able to bike to the other trail systems, will there be a shuttle service or do we drive there?

I think that's all I have for now.

Thanks!
    Jared

Hi Jared13,
    Very Cool you are going to be Fester with us! I will answer your questions but I first things first, It's a Fest! And all about fun! No stressful races or competition; just riders sharing a love of the trails.
    For the MTB 101, I would get here about a 1/2 hour early. That way you will be able to get a feel for the fest grounds and meet a few people. Ray and Bex are conducting it and there are no more accomodating knobbies. Although the group rides have a scheduled time, there will be gangs of folks going out all day. So yes you can grab a Demo bike and find a ride. The rides will be of all speeds but I can assure you, the fast guys will ride fast and the rest of us will go at a comfortable pace. You will easily find a ride at your pace.
    The other trail systems are about 15 miles away so you will have to drive. We will have scheduled rides at those parks as well, but all day riding will go on at all 4 parks. I look forward to meeting you as you are the first person I will know from Neveda, my birthplace! As we say, To the Bikes!
    Dirtboy

Cool Jared! MTB 101 will be relaxed and fun! We promise! Then we will go for a relaxed ride, work on some skills as various differences in terrain allow along our ride! You will find that there will be a variety of riding abilities and speeds represented by people at the Fest weekend and surely you'll connect up with folks going your pace. We are so excited that you plan to come visit us!!!!
    I wanna ride!

Sounds great, thanks for the replies dirtboy and Bexter!

See ya there!

Thought of another question:
    When is the IMBA Trail Care seminar/class?
    Do I need to register separately for that?

I see they have it listed on their website but I can't seem to find it on the shenanigans.

Schedule is posted on the fest website: http://www.midwestmtbfest.com

Click on the Friday Summit link...

Ah, thanks. I was looking under just the "Shenanigans" link.

Unfortunately, I have class and my daughter's birthday party that day.

Board Position
    Insurance Manager

Default Questions on Food

On Saturday's schedule there is a Cook Out at 6pm. Is that a bring your own food kind of thing? Do you know if that will be at the Festival Grounds, or at the Campground?

On Sunday's schedule it shows a continental breakfast, then also mentions Biscuits & Gravy. Is it both is there a charge for either?

Thanks and can't wait for the weekend!!!

Eric
    A Value Oriented Cyclist

Here is the final version of the schedule: http://www.qcforc.org/mtbfest/2011_FestSchedule.pdf

I need to update the schedule on the shenanigans page to reflect this. I just got my copy yesterday, so I'm on it today! :)

To specifically answer what I can:

Saturday's cookout is bring your own food. FORC will supply the grill, plates, silverware, etc. It is scheduled to be at the campground.

No Continental breakfast on Sunday, it will be Biscuits and Gravy provided by a vendor. The cost is rumored to be somewhere around $6 per person.

Answers on Food
    The cookout on Saturday will be at the campground. FORC will have a big grill going but you need to bring your own food to cook on it. FORC will have plates, silverware, napkins, grilling advice etc.
    Breakfast on both days will be at the campground. Saturday the Lion's club will serve up all you can eat Pancakes, sausage, etc. The cost will be about $5-6. On Sunday, Biscuits and Gravy will be available, also at a modest cost to you the fester. Of course you can always choke down a sawdust bar and watch us eat Come join the fun!

Yeah, what he said
    Last edited by dirtboy; 06-22-2011 at 09:16 AM. Reason: I type slower than sweet

What's everybody planning on doing for food Friday night? I know there is sponsored beer, and one could drink his/her supper; but anybody planning on grilling? Pizza? Cheez-Its?

I figured I would get some from the vendor that's serving a "late lunch/early dinner", then just have cold cuts out of my cooler when I get hungry later.

Board Position
    Insurance Manager

Ah ha Steve. When Anna & I asked the Friday evening food question we were only looking at the listing of events where it does not mention vendor food availability. But I now see down in the food section it shows this as an option. Thanks!

I am stoked!!!
    A Value Oriented Cyclist

I will only be able to be at the 'Fest on Saturday (daughter's bday party on Friday, trail maintenance on Sunday.)

I'm hoping to hit two trails.
    My plan is to ride Sunderbruch with the first group ride, drive back to ScoCoPa to ride there, grab some food from the vendors, and then head home.

Assuming average skill, above average endurance, and below average intelligence(:D), is that doable?
    Or
    Would it be better to just focus on one trail? And if so, which one?

Thanks!

Board Position
    President

That should work. Will be a good work out fo sho.
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.