Thread: "No Chick Left Behind" skills session - Wed & Thurs. 4/13 & 4/14/11 5:30 PM

Default "No Chick Left Behind" skills session - Wed & Thurs. 4/13 & 4/14/11 5:30 PM

What a bummer that last night's No Chick Left Behind session got rained out at the last minute. Mother Nature and her timing. Grrr! So, let's plan to meet at Sylvan again next week. We have a bit more basic stuff to cover and Sylvan is a great venue for that. So, plan to meet at Sylvan Island Wed and/or Thur 4/13 & 4/14, ride starts at 5:30PM.

A recap of our first session:
    We had a total of 15 people show up and it was so much fun! Thanks to all who participated and thanks to my fellow FORC ladies for your help!
    • We talked about shifting and then went out and practiced shifting so that everyone got comfortable knowing which shifter on the handlebar controlled what and the direction needed in order to make pedalling more difficult / easier.
    • We talked about braking -- feathering, using a combination of the rear and front brakes, and the goal of NOT skidding which really reduces a rider's ability to control the bike (kind of like a car in a slide situation). We practiced braking going down a hill.
    • We talked about fore and aft positioning on the bike, how your weight distribution on the bike impacts the ability to lift the front / rear wheels depending upon where you place your body, and losing grip with your back wheel when standing to climb a hill (if your weight is too far forward on the bike). We talked about shifting your body position relative to your bike when going down and up hills and the impact it has.
    • We talked about pedal position when riding over obstacles (keeping them even), going around corners (keeping the pedal that is on the INSIDE of the turn UP).
    • We talked about getting off the saddle when going through gnarly areas because you have more control of your bike while standing (you aren't an extension of the bike then and the bike can move independent of you).
    • We talked about front wheelies in order to get your front wheel up to go over an obstacle either by keeping your pedals even and pulling up on the handle bars or by pulling up on the handle bars at the same time that you downstroke a pedal.
    • We learned how to go over a log. Key factors were 1) getting your front wheel up to get over the log, 2) being aware of forward momentum and how it continues to propel you and the back wheel over an obstacle and 3) timing (when to pull the front end up in anticipating of going over an obstacle).
    • We learned about use of momentum and proper gear selection to climb a small hill (hard gear to pedal and get speed BEFORE the hill, then a shift down just before the hill and finally appreciating the momentum that helps to carry you up the hill). We also talked about use of momentum in getting through rough areas... we didn't get to practice this but we will!!!
    • We had fun!
    Hope to see you next week and spread the word! All that is needed is a person who has interest in learning how to mtn bike, a bicycle and helmet, water, enthusiasm.

Don't forget about the first mtn bike race of the season in our area THIS SUNDAY -- the Sylvan Island Stampede! Races start at 9 AM.
    I wanna ride!

Looks like Wednesday night's weather is going to be perfect for a bike ride! Thank you, Mother Nature!! See you at the trailhead tomorrow!
    I wanna ride!

I'll be there!
    "DOES THIS BIKE MAKE MY ASS LOOK FAST?"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OMG!! The weather is PERFECT today!!!! I just got back in the office -- THAT was challenging... to go back inside to a crusty old building after being outside in what I think is the best day so far of 2011. So, how do we make sure this stays "the best day so far in 2011?" Well, we ride our bikes, and then we hang out in the parking lot and enjoy post-ride consumables and visit with our friends, that's how! See you tonight at Sylvan!
    I wanna ride!

NCLBLogo200..gif

Ladies, last night's ride was A-A-Amazing!!!!! Beautiful weather, excellent turnout, lots of accomplishments. We even had a 10 year old young lady join us and she was pretty terrific! This has been such a fun experience!

Tonight's forecast looks so-so... TODAY: Mostly cloudy and windy. High 60°. Wind E 15-25mph & gusty. TONIGHT: Cloudy. Some sprinkles possible. Low 46°. The only thing that would hold us back is rain, so we should be good to go tonight. We can deal with a few sprinkles! I do have a hair trim at 4:30, so I will be rolling into the Sylvan Island parking lot fairly close to 5:30 tonight. Never fear, I will be there!

What we learned last night:
    • Changing a rear flat tire
    • Shifting your weight back on the bike -- going down hills and to make the front end lighter to more easily lift up over obstacles
    • Using momentum to your advantage -- over rough stuff and up hills (you all did very well on the gnarly roots)
    We also reviewed from last week:
    • Using both brakes (feathering them, a bit more rear than front brake)
    • Finding the right gear for you so that you're not spinning too fast in an overly easy gear, or that you're barely getting the pedals around because it's to diffcult a gear
    • Pedal positioning -- over rough stuff (pedals level), around corners (inside pedal UP, and outside pedal down and pushing down to get wheels to grip as you corner), etc.
    • Getting up off seat when going over gnarly stuff -- you have more control over your bike when off the saddle
    • Lifting the front wheel up over obstacles (like roots, rocks and logs)
    Hope to see you tonight! If not, there is always next week! If the trails are dry enough (we have several days of rain coming), I want to meet at Sunderbruch Park in Davenport next week (check the "Our Trails" section on our website if you're not sure where Sunderbruch is). Stay tuned about next weeks game plan! Can't wait!!

The group from last night (you ladies ROCK):
    NCLB 2.2011-04-13 1&.jpg
    I wanna ride!

A few highlights from Thursday night from those bold enough to brave the wind:

The 10 year old...
    2011-04-14 18.17.12&.jpg 2011-04-14 18.20.16&.jpg

And, a new rider learning how to go over a small log as well as a veteran helping demonstrate for the others:
    2011-04-14 18.17.09&.jpg 2011-04-14 18.17.37&.jpg

Finally, a bit larger log:
    2011-04-14 18.17.52&.jpg

We also went down the concrete drop that ends on the main path (coming straight off the bridge), but by that time it was too dusky for pictures to turn out. What a great day! Enthusiastic bikers, great trails, a whole summer of riding to come!

Check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/?tid=180178...00715290016270
    Last edited by Bexter; 04-15-2011 at 04:33 PM.
    I wanna ride!

I must say a Big Thank You to all the ladies who help and showed Alexa a great time, I am afraid we have created a monster that is all she wants to do. Thanks again.