Thread: Yellow River State Forest

Default Yellow River State Forest

Was watching PBS a few weeks ago and heard about Yellow River State Forest in northeast Iowa. After checking out their website (linked below) and maps, it looks like their horse trails are open to mountain bikers, as well.

Has anyone been here? I wouldn't mind knowing something about it before making the trip this spring...

http://www.iowadnr.gov/forestry/yellowriver.html

Happy trails.
    --Justin

never heard of it...

regardless, the idea of riding on horse trails makes me...well...
    "ya, well...that's like...your...opinion. man."

Yeah about 6 years ago I rode there. It was pretty fun. Loads of fire roads with long climbs and some pretty tight horse trails. Avoid the main horse area. You'll smell it. Really nice area though. Enjoy. If I was to drive that far I'd go to Decorah's amazing system or LaCrosse or Winona.
    Ride on
    Dan

Dan,

I've got some family in the LaCrosse area. I'm familiar with the Sparta-Elroy trail system, but there's no single track that I know about. Where would I find single track near LaCrosse?

Thanks for the info,
    --Justin

Absolutely there are mtb trails just east of the city in Hixson Forest. Check out humanpoweredtrails.com. I've not ridden there, but talkin to several people that built it and others that have raced down there it sounds like it is a very good system. One guy is the Pivot Cycles rep. Group rides every fri. night. Built alot more with imba in mind as compared to Decorah HPT. If LaCrosse don't satisfy you then head to Holzinger lodge in WInona Mn for some long ups and and smooth fast singletrack on top of the bluff then a real sack-it-up downhill. If you really need to ride up there go to Levi-Trow IMBA Epic is only about 1.5 hours from LC. Or Lowes Creek just south of Eau Claire is a super fun system also. On your way home hit Memorial Park in Red Wing, before you do some night climbing on the other bluff in town. Anyway the moral of the story is that there is plenty of riding around LaCrosse.
    I've ridden all but Lacrosse so if you need beta let me know.
    Dan