Thread: Sherman Park

Default Sherman Park

Sherman Park out near Calamus, iowa. About 15-20 minutes west of De Witt is a clinton county park that consists of 232 acres of forested park land and wapsi river frontage. I was out walking last night sniffing around for some rocks to climb on, but decided this would be a great mountain bike area. My vision told me about 12-15 miles of long sight line flowing trail. Very similar to the Murphy Hanrehan landscape in the SW twin cities. Quick elevation changes and long ridges that reminded me of Chequamegon rides except the rocks. Hiking trails are already set up out there. Has anyone looked into riding or building trail out there?
    Go for a walk from the observatory parking lot and I think you will understand what got me so excited to get a system out there.
    Ride on,
    Dan

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

Never been there, D. In the last few years FORC has been very fortuanate, we've got so many places to build trail we can hardly keep up!! The next 2 years we're planning on being very busy getting as much trail in as we can locally to get ready to host the Midwest Mountain Bike festival at Scott County park in 2011 and 2012.

I don't know if there is a mountain bike contingent in the area Surrounding Sherman park. The Iowa City or Cedar Rapids doods might be aware or be willing to participate. If anyone from FORC is out that way and interested, give D a post!! -Vibrato

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

Board Position
    President

driven by it several times didn't really know what was there. That would be about 35 min from my place. It could be a possability after SCP. I am interested...
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.

Where you from A.G. I will probably be living in Tipton and that's about the same time away. Great to hear about Mtb Fest at SCP and that there's more places to build then can be kept up with. What nice problem to have. I can't wait to ride at scp this spring. I'll be out at sherman scouting lines and get a hold of Clinton county to see if it's even possible.
    Dan

Board Position
    President

I live in north west Davenport. With SCP in the books I think it will be a "feather in the cap" and help us get into other parks in the future. I would love to talk to you about talk park. Join the club come to the FORC winter party, we can pow wow about this some more. I think this place is to far from any other club to pursue.

Call me anytime, AG 563-529-1831
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.

Update on Sherman Park is that Clinton county is discussing the idea of developing a system. Walt seemed very receptive to the idea. I told them to get a hold of ScCoPa people to discuss the arrangements that were made with the mtbrs. I'm heading out today to look a bit closer at trail routings. No flags just yet.
    Have another for good luck to my little vision here,
    Dan