Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snow Ride

Talking Snow Ride

Last night we talked about a snow ride tonight. So far it looks like me and Rage. Any other psychos up for it. Looks like Sylvan will have to be the location. We'll probably ride about 5:30. Don't forget your lights and especially the crash helmet and pads.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.

Wherever there is trouble, you will find me.

(to the tune of "red Skies at night")

Snow ride tonight, Snow ride tonight,
    Wo oh, wo oh, Wo oh oh oh oh oh oh oooooh
    Should have taken warning
    my toes, fingers mourning, riding, burning, lost
    You can't find, find the trail to go
    yeah it's snow ride at night, snow ride at night
    Wo oh, wo oh, Wo oh oh oh oh oh oh ooooh

Oh... oh... oh... oh, oh, ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh.

Or if you prefer- Snow ride.. Take it easy.... Snow ride..... Take it easy......

Snow ridin FORCer your snow fine......

I'll try, prolly closer to 6.

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

I will try and make it down....gotta wait for the wife to make it home safe from Clinton

ill be there tween 5:30 and 6:00 sometime.
    the wheels on my bike go round and round......

it's lookin' pretty crappy out there. I'm going to change my tires and head over anyway. See ya there- maybe.

Board Position
    President

Ya I won't be there.
    You'd understand if you know what I was talking about.

yeah let me know how this went for ya! i rode to work this morning and it was sweet but riding tonight sounds a bit crazy.

35 degrees it should be a blast

You all missed out. I was good bikin' weather.

I'm glad I missed the ride. Can't image riding when that cold.
    For what it is worth, during the indoor training ride that is every Tuesday at the Trek store on Eastern, a rider from Florida who is up here was talking about trying to get riders to ride in town on Thursday nights depending on the temperatures. It sounds more like interval "training" within a group setting adn was talking about riding 15-25 miles. If anyone is interested, I'll get more information and post it here. One thing he did mention was what temperature riders would be willing to ride in. Obviously some of you are already crazy enough to ride on trails, but what about in town? I'm interested to hear what all have to say....

Doood, I don't wanna go on a road ride when it's 85 and sunny so the chances of me dodgin cars in the soup are pretty slim.

However, Snow rides are great interval training, the lack of traction in front makes it a full body workout, and the deeper the snow, the tougher the push!

Plus, as an added benefit, the more riders on the snowy trails, the more the trails seem like normal because they pack down faster.

-Join us!

Believe in yourself? Well sure, of course. But be aware that "believing in myself" has been the root cause of most of my injuries.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I feel sorry for people who don't do this." -Badfish41- after bombing the Hermosa's at Levis Trow.

I guess I never thought about the trails packing down with the more riders but how about the slickness. I saw on a reply that you are switching out tires. Call me slow but are knobbie tires not going to be enough to make it on a ride?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by nu2trails View Post
    are knobbie tires not going to be enough to make it on a ride?
    Have you ever ridden in mud? It's kind of lack that. The knobbier the better. The biggest concern is slidding out of the front tire, so you obviously have to go slow. It is hard to get up the hills, but otherwise no big deal.

I second Vibrato about the road riding. To many stories of people being hit (Forcmeister) and lots of others have trash and bottle thrown at them. I would rather hit a tree than a car any day.

I'm not Rick Wren! So any thing about 30!

JB

Quote Originally Posted by ELSANTO! View Post
    I'm not Rick Wren! So any thing about 30!

JB
    What?

I'm glad I missed the ride. Can't image riding when that cold.
    For what it is worth, during the indoor training ride that is every Tuesday at the Trek store on Eastern, a rider from Florida who is up here was talking about trying to get riders to ride in town on Thursday nights depending on the temperatures. It sounds more like interval "training" within a group setting adn was talking about riding 15-25 miles. If anyone is interested, I'll get more information and post it here. One thing he did mention was what temperature riders would be willing to ride in. Obviously some of you are already crazy enough to ride on trails, but what about in town? I'm interested to hear what all have to say....

Russhole'72

JB

Temperature doesn't matter. Look at it this way. What's the coldest you've ever been snow skiing in? It was about minus 30 for several hours for me. Biking in the cold isn't much different. Put some flat pedals on and wear a good pair of boots to keep the feet warm and you should be good to go.

One thing I learned on the ride the other night (don't laguh too hard everyone does something stupid once in a while) don't use an external bike rack. When I got home that night, I realized I had been throwing road salt all over my bike all the way home. I felt pretty stupid about that, and had a few nice names for myself too.
    Last edited by Russhole; 12-11-2009 at 11:08 AM. Reason: add

Thumbs down

Knobbies are gold, studs only help on ice. Slick? you betcha, but fun, too. You REALLY have to pay attention, one slick spot will put the hurt on you. In snow, without momentum, you walk. The technique is to STAY SEATED for traction, let the front go where it needs to and get used to guiding the bike in a general direction, sometimes you can't "turn" corners.

Dress for the Temp's and you can ride in most stuff, Me an Nenninger did a ride on the ice off of credit island in 5 degrees last year.

(Yeah, me and nenningers looong legs on credit island...)

Snow & ice riding is the best way to improve balance on your bike. Not to mention it keeps you in shape so when spring comes you don't feel like you're dying on the first ride of the year. Dress warm, but not too warm. You heat up pretty quick. You should be a little cold when you start the ride to accommodate for this. Snow really burns the legs and since you're not moving real quick you can get overheated easily and start sweating a lot. The moisture from the sweat will really make you cold. Wearing light layers is a great idea so you can shed clothing and easily stuff them in your camelbak if you do feel you are over dressed. Studded tires do help on the ice (still not like riding on dry dirt though), but for snow a nice fat tire is the best choice.

Snow trail riding sounds pretty challenging but curosity it itching at me to give it a try. However, I'm having a hard time trying to convince myself to go and ride with how cold it is outside. I read in a post to put flat pedals on but wouldn't it be pretty slick and clipless be the way to go? Also, trying to not have too many layers on would be a hard one to dial in. As far as gloves and socks, what is the way to go on something for those areas without feeling bogged down.

I would like to have an electric coat and gloves

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/cata...-p-1-c-59.html

Although flats do help quite a bit in winter riding so you can get you're foot on the ground as quick as possible when you need to, I do personally use my clipless unless it is really icy... but you better be good at uncliping quickly, trust me. Yes, the layer thing can be tricky and does take a bit of trial and error. Here's what I wear to least point you in the right direction. For upper body I start with long sleeve athletic shirt. It's the same kind of stuff that Under Armor makes, but mine is Reebok and much cheaper (bought them at Kohl's). You don't want the thick winter kind though, that's more for skiing and other winter sports not heavy on cardio. The material wicks away moisture wonderfully what is exactly what you want so if you do sweat a little you won't freeze. I top that with a jersey which once again wicks moisture well and provides another layer. Next depends on the temp. 40's I where a thin wind breaker jacket with vents in the pit area. 30's I where a little bit thicker wind breaker but still not too thick. Even colder weather I wear a fleece vest with the thicker wind breaker. Don't use a thick winter coat, you'll overheat. On the bottom if it's 40's I wear a wind breaker pants. 30's I wear cotton long underwear with shorts over them. Even colder and I put the wind breaker pants over the long underwear. For gloves I wear Pearl Izumi gloves that are made with a thin material so you can handler your bike easily, but are still really warm. If it's really cold I wear thicker gloves over them. For feet I wear wool dress socks with biking socks over them plus I have Pearl Izumi winter shoe covers. If you don't want to fork over the money for shoe covers wearing a plastic bag between the dress socks and biking socks does wonders. Just remember that if you're warm in what you are wearing when you start that you are over dressed. You should be cold. I know it's hard motivating yourself to go out in the cold to ride, but try it your first time in a group ride. It's a blast. I hope this helps.

Gunchie, that may be your best post ever. You *finally* contributed something to the greater good the club!

As far as gloves and socks, what is the way to go on something for those areas without feeling bogged down.
    As for gloves, down where Im from in Georgia all of us used mechanics gloves (or just the cheap version from Wally World or Blain's), they are much cheaper than "bike" gloves and IMO are just as good if not better, since they are made for using your hands and making sure you have good feel and touch, if that makes sense. But they do have insulated one's which I started wearing up heere, they are nice b/c they have a nice layer thin layer of thinsulate and keep your hands nice and warm, keep the wind out, and arent big and bulky by any means. O and I got mine at Wally World for $16, compared to everything online at $35+ and that was a cheaper winter bike glove. Now if I could only figure out how to keep my feet warm for cheap, Id be happy.

Board Position
    Trail Steward - Geneseo Prairie Park

hand and foot warmers...
    ANYTHING can be fixed...how badly do you want it?