Thread: Roof racks?

Default Roof racks?

I'm looking at different roof solutions. Anyone have any suggestions or warnings? Specifically, I'm wondering if the Thule Big Mouth would crush any cables running along the downtube or if there is enough give in the pads or open space left, depending on downtube size...

Board Position
    Vice President

what kind of car do you have?

An '04 Ford Focus Wagon -it has side rails but no crossbars...

Quote Originally Posted by SpinStir View Post
    Anyone have any suggestions or warnings?
    Yeah, forget the roof rack, put on a receiver hitch, and use a rear rack. No bugs permanently adhered to your handle bars/shifters/brake levers, no 90 mph wind trying to pry your bike off the car killing your fuel economy, and no need to buy a new frame and fork after you drive into the garage with the bike still on top.

Just sayin'...

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    Yeah, forget the roof rack, put on a receiver hitch, and use a rear rack. No bugs permanently adhered to your handle bars/shifters/brake levers, no 90 mph wind trying to pry your bike off the car killing your fuel economy, and no need to buy a new frame and fork after you drive into the garage with the bike still on top.

Just sayin'...

Rg.
    +1

I know, I know. The only problem w/ that is I use my hatch quite a bit and it seems like even with a tray-type hitch rack you still have to constantly tilt it up and down. Any of these racks have extrememly simple mechanisms to get the rack out of the way?

Thanks for the input...

Our Thule has a simple release lever, but this only works when no bikes are on the rack. I think the Saris can drop away with bikes on it, but am not sure. That is the one down side of the rear rack...

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

You can get the Swing Away style rack too. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Surco-DBR300-S.../dp/B000CCBMF8

my thule t2 hitch rack swings down with bikes loaded

great price @
    rei

Thule T2. Buy It!

Rg.
    Haters gonna hate.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Yakima makes a fantastic swing away hitch mounted rack. Spend the $ to get the easy to use mechanism and 2" hitch. Swingdaddy. It really is worth it. Pay attention and alot of times you can catch them 20% off. Try ValleyBikeandSki.com. Roof racks are nice. 2 mpg loss though. I would only get one with a fork mounted tray. I had the style where you never took the wheel off and hated it. Also less drag for your focus. (I also have a focus). I have driven in highwinds (60 mph crosswind)in Nebraska with the bikes on top. No problem to bikes, car had to work a bit harder. If concerned about bugs either use saran wrap on the head tube, fork and handlebar or hit with some alcohol when you get there. Only about 3 months of the year is a big prob. Another thing to consider, do you ever want to carry skis on top?
    Dan

I have a roof rack and have had both kind of trays... the one where you never have to take the front wheel off and the fork mounted one. I hated the one that you did not have to remove the front wheel. I think it was called the Raptor. I never felt like my bike was secure. The fork mounted method works MUCH better. Yes, bugs. Yuck! I like the saran wrap idea -- may try that. Yes, MPG decrease.

My next vehicle will have a trailer hitch and hitch-mounted rack. Easier to get to, no drag in the wind, fewer bugs to clean off.
    I wanna ride!

after you drive into the garage with the bike still on top.

Just sayin'...Rg.
    You'll only do that once anyway.
    I may have to grow old, but I'll never have to grow up.